Progress on Red Planet Farming is still going strong. A lot of the main gameplay is in place - there aren’t really any other features that I was hoping to implement by late April. So I have been focusing a lot more on the UI.
My brother (a seasoned videogame player) played the game about a week ago and I was surprised to hear from him that a lot of the systems/gameplay didn’t make a whole lot of sense. However, when I explained to him what was actually going on in the game, we found that the real issue was a lack of information on the screen and a weak UI.
UI was not my focus until this week, as I just wanted to make sure that the game ran smoothly without bugs. But UI, it seems, is half the battle and I probably should have started it earlier. As I described in my last post, I added in a tutorial. I’ve also added a lot more explanation text around the game. Field popups now say what a crop needs in order to survive the year.
In addition, a lot of art is starting to come in from my artist, Noah. Pretty much anything in the game that isn’t pixel art or clip art is from her!
Finally, I figured out how to get the game on itch, after much wrestling with Unity not wanting to install support for WebGL. You can play the current draft here.
Below are some images of the UI designs at the moment. I’m still working on title and menu screens but they are definitely on the list.